GETTING READY FOR SUNDAY
To help you get ready for Sunday worship together, we’ve included some information about our upcoming service including; Scripture passages, discussion questions, and the music you’ll hear this week. Take a look below to find out more.
This Sunday is our Baptism & Membership Celebration. Rev. Grant Vissers will be taking a look at Acts 8:26-40.
Acts 8:26-40New International Version (NIV)
Philip and the Ethiopian
26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Go south to the road—the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” 27 So he started out, and on his way he met an Ethiopian[a] eunuch, an important official in charge of all the treasury of the Kandake (which means “queen of the Ethiopians”). This man had gone to Jerusalem to worship,28 and on his way home was sitting in his chariot reading the Book of Isaiah the prophet. 29 The Spirit told Philip, “Go to that chariot and stay near it.”
30 Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked.
31 “How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?” So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.
32 This is the passage of Scripture the eunuch was reading:
“He was led like a sheep to the slaughter,
and as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
33 In his humiliation he was deprived of justice.
Who can speak of his descendants?
For his life was taken from the earth.”[b]
34 The eunuch asked Philip, “Tell me, please, who is the prophet talking about, himself or someone else?” 35 Then Philip began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.
36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?”  [c] 38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him. 39 When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. 40 Philip, however, appeared at Azotus and traveled about, preaching the gospel in all the towns until he reached Caesarea.
You can read more at Bible Gateway here.
Sermon Questions this Sunday:
While you prepare for Sunday, here are some questions to think over:
- What does baptism mean to you? Have you been baptized? Talk about what you remember from that moment.
- What does it mean that Philip, “began with that very passage of Scripture and told him the good news about Jesus.
- Do you know anyone who might be asking the same questions as the Ethiopian man? ““How can I,” he said, “unless someone explains it to me?”
- Do you know what you would say if invited to sit with someone? “So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.”
- The Ethiopian man asks Philip, “What can stand in the way of me being baptized?” What are some things that might stand in the way of people believing in Jesus today?
Music this week:
- Glorious – Chris Tomlin
- What a Beautiful Name – Brooke LIgertwood
- Resurrecting – Elevation Worship
- God With Us – Jason Ingram
- Grace Like Rain – Todd Agnew
- Born Again – Consuming Fire Music
- Everlasting – Brian Doerksen