A simple knitted square can change a life!
KNIT-A-SQUARE sends comfort and warmth to AIDS orphans in Malawi. Many of these children are cared for in simple unheated shacks or crude wooden structures. In the winter season, temperatures drop below zero, and many of these children sleep on bare floors.The knitted squares are assembled to make blankets to help keep these kids warm.
Why send squares, not assembled blankets? In order to avoid duty charges on completed blankets, we send knitted squares – which have “no commercial value” when going through customs.
Sending squares also allows for local participation. Blankets are sewn by local church groups and distributed to needy children in their own communities.
What is SQUARE-OFF Sunday? Once a year we ask for help to cover the cost of postage to mail our squares to Africa. It costs about $30 to send a parcel containing up to 50 squares. We expect to send 3000 squares this year.
Click here to go to Knit-A-Square website. http://www.knit-a-square.com/
KNIT-A-SQUARE – HOW YOU CAN HELP
- If you knit or crochet, you can help by making 8” squares which can be left in the KNIT-A-SQUARE basket in the church hallway for mailing (Please include a note with your name). Instructions for the squares are posted on the Missions bulletin board.
- Donations of yarn are always welcome. Preferred yarn is worsted weight acrylic in BRIGHT colours but we welcome all yarn.
- Spread the Word – tell your knitting friends!
- Support our annual “Square-Off” – our once-a-year fundraiser for postage funds (Envelopes available at the Mission bulletin board)
- Pray for KNIT-A-SQUARE volunteers in Malawi and South Africa – and for “our kids” who so badly need our blankets.
For further information on this mission, please contact Anne Powell at 905-852-5450 or email@example.com.