GETTING READY FOR SUNDAY
To help you get ready for Sunday worship together, we’ve included some information about our upcoming service including; Scripture passages, discussion questions, and the music you’ll hear this week.
We continue in our Sermon Series, ‘When Grace Comes To Town’ a study in Matthew 5-7. This week we are looking at Matthew 5:38-42.
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[a] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
Read the whole passage at Bible Gateway here.
While you prepare for Sunday, here are some questions to consider
1. Explain “eye for eye and tooth for tooth”. It may help to reference Exodus 21:22-25 and Deuteronomy 19:16-21.
2. When Jesus says “do not resist an evil person” is he saying we shouldn’t have police services? In what context are we to “not resist an evil person”.
3. How do you understand the phrases : “Turn the other cheek”, “go the extra mile”. Have you thought of them as responses to aggression?
4. It might look like Jesus is advocating weakness and injustice, but his command is not passive. Explain the courageous action invited here.
5. Remember together the account of the cross. How did Jesus ‘turn the other cheek’ and ‘give away his shirt and coat’ for you?
Music this week:
- You Never Let Go
- Your Grace Finds Me
- Jesus Paid It All
- Before There Was Time
- Grace Like Rain