GETTING READY FOR SUNDAY
To help you get ready for Sunday worship together, we’ve included some information about our upcoming service including; Scripture passages, discussion questions, and the music you’ll hear this week.
We are into our second week of a new Sermon Series entitled, ‘Got Questions?’ We all have questions. Questions about why life is so hard or why life is so good? Is there a plan that would help us all get along better as we share the planet? Questions about the future: what’s going to happen to me? What will happen to us? Is there a chance there is life after death?
If there is a God, then questions about God would be the most important questions to ask and answer. Human beings have been asking God questions since they had consciousness. At SPL we’re still asking questions and we think we’re on to some answers. Come out and ask your questions. Let’s search together.
This week we are looking at Luke 18:9-14 and asking ‘Why should I care about God?’
Read the whole passage at Bible Gateway here.
While you prepare for Sunday, here are some questions to consider:
Sermon Questions for Sunday, December 9, 2018: Luke 18:9-14
1. Have you heard the saying, “Do as I say, not as I do?” Have you ever thought there was a problem with that statement? Is there?
2. Do you think that the church is a place for perfect people or broken people? When you picture “Church” is it more like a country club or a hospital?
3. Have you ever been hurt or know someone who has been hurt by someone claiming to be a Christian?
4. Read Luke 18:9-14: Do you think that Jesus had a problem with people pretending to be something they are not?
5. Read Philippians 2:5-11: What should our relationships with each other look like given this command? Do you think that Jesus gives us the antidote to hypocrisy?
Sermon Questions for Sunday, December 2, 2018: Luke 16:19-31
1. Sum this parable up in 1 sentence.
2. What do you find most disturbing about the rich man?
3. Explain the ‘zinger’ in verse 31.
4. If you were before God right now and allowed one question, what would you ask?
5. Is there anyone lying just outside your ‘gate’ whom you are ignoring these days?
Music this week:
- O Come, O Come Emmanuel
- Hands To The Heavens
- How Marvelous
- Son Of God (He Has Overcome)
- Came To My Rescue
- Whole World In His Hands