Philippians is Paul’s most joyful letter even though he’s in jail, he’s old, people are behaving poorly and it’s not clear if things will get any better. Can there be real joy when circumstances are awful?
Listen to an audio version of the message
Songs for this week: Spotify
- Have you ever witnessed a Christian go through a tough time with such grace that it made you want to be bolder in your own faith? Tell that story.
- Verses 15-18 speak about “preaching Christ.” What exactly does that mean? How do you know whether the message you hear is “Christ preached” or not?
- In this passage Paul seems to be ruminating about his death. Do you ever do that? What thoughts do you have when you consider your own death?
- Explain the phrase “to live is Christ.”
- In v. 20 Paul says that he “hopes to have sufficient courage” for the challenge he currently faces. What struggle do you currently have for which you also hope to have sufficient courage? Pray for each other.