Philippians is Paul’s most joyful letter even though he’s in jail, he’s old, people are behaving poorly and it’s not clear if things will get any better. Can there be real joy when circumstances are awful?
Listen to an audio version of the message
Songs for this week: Spotify
- In verse 1, Paul identifies some experiences that he just assumes are part of the church’s life. How well do these describe life together in your small group? In the church?
- How would you articulate the shared purpose that is foundational to our unity?
- Where in your life do you, for the sake of unity, need to submit differences to our greater purpose? Put differently, where do you need to prioritize a relationship over being right?
- Read verses 3-4, where Paul explains how we can forge unity. This week, what specifically can you do to put this into practice?
- What would it look like for you to cultivate the same mindset of humility and love that Jesus has? How can you more firmly fix your eyes on him as the pattern for your life?
Pray aloud Jesus’ prayer for us in John 17:20-23.