Philippians is Paul’s most joyful letter even though he’s in jail, he’s old, people are behaving poorly and it’s not clear if things will get any better. Can there be real joy when circumstances are awful?
Listen to an audio version of the message
Songs for this week: Spotify
- Have you ever been in a long-distance relationship? Describe that. How do you stay in contact with those you love who are far away?
- Explain what it looks like in your life to “work out your salvation” and to do so “with fear and trembling?”
- Do “grumbling and arguing” ever creep into your life? What has been your best strategy for combating those temptations?
- The plan is for Christians to become “blameless and pure children of God…in a warped and crooked generation.” As well they are to shine like “stars in the sky.” Does that sound like we think we’re better? How do we live into these verses and not get arrogant or feeling even slightly superior?
- At the end of your life what will you boast about to Jesus?