Philippians is Paul’s most joyful letter even though he’s in jail, he’s old, people are behaving poorly and it’s not clear if things will get any better. Can there be real joy when circumstances are awful?
Listen to an audio version of the message
Songs for this week: Spotify
- On a scale of 1-10 how content are you? Explain.
- What does it mean to be content? (Does it include not caring about people and things? Does it mean having no ambition?) Explain.
- Paul says he’s learned to be content. How are you learning contentment these days? Is there one area in life that is more difficult for you to be content?
- Paul says he’s learned to be content with little and with lots. Most of us think we understand contentment in little. What does contentment with lots look like?
- The secret to contentment seems to include the power of God at work (v.13). That means that being content is more than just a matter of modelling or practice. Have you felt His power shaping you to be more content?