The Christian hope jumps into history in the most unlikely and improbable way: a baby. Incarnation. God with us. Immanuel. And no one saw it coming.
Listen to an audio version of the message
Songs for this week: Spotify
1 Samuel 4
Take the time to read the passage with your group. I know it’s long. Pretend it’s a bedtime story (just don’t fall asleep!)
- What stands out most to you from this story?
- Describe how this story differs from the story of Matthew 1:22-23.
- How does Jesus, Immanuel, actually bring “peace on earth” and how does he bring it into a person’s life who chooses to believe Him?
- Work as a group to understand the Hebrew word “Shalom.” Are you experiencing Shalom these days? If so, what does that look like, if not, what has gotten in the way?
- Why does God put these horrific stories in the Bible?