The Christian hope jumps into history in the most unlikely and improbable way: a baby. Incarnation. God with us. Immanuel. And no one saw it coming.
Listen to an audio version of the message
Songs for this week: Spotify
- Do a little research on the Jewish requirements for baby boys being born and purification rites for new moms. What were all those requirements saying to the parents?
- What has God clearly told you to do? Beyond seeing obedience as drudgery, what might God be saying to you through what he’s asked you to do?
- Simeon had “the Holy Spirit on him.” The Holy Spirit had revealed to him he wouldn’t die before he saw the Messiah. He was “moved by the Spirit.” Can you relate to Simeon? What, if any, is your experience of the Holy Spirit?
- Salvation will come from this baby! Explain what people might have imagined that to look like and then explain what you understand salvation to include.
- “This child is destined to cause the rising and falling of many in Israel, and to be a sign spoken against, so that the thoughts of many hearts will be revealed.” None of us likes a hard time but we seem to be promised it here. How do you navigate the difficulties that come your way for believing in Jesus?