SO YOU CAN LOVE OTHERS
Jesus intends to win the world with love. It makes so little sense on a planet that has always celebrated the strongest and the smartest and the most self-interested. Kindness never won an Olympic medal or a military battle. Our God has chosen his ‘weapon of choice’ and its love. How counterintuitive! Send people out like sheep among wolves, bless your enemies, forgive the undeserving, and love people like crazy. Sounds like a plan that could get a person killed.
Listen to an audio version of the message
Songs for this week: Spotify
- What is/was your relationship like with your father and your mother? How has that shaped you?
- What do you make of Jesus always talking about how the Father loves him? Is that odd for a 30-year-old adult or is it essential? Explain.
- What do you know and experience of the joy Jesus speaks of in v. 11?
- Explain how ‘laying down one’s life’ is the greatest demonstration of love. Could you love like that?
- Do you experience yourself as Jesus’ friend? If so, help others understand what that is like.
You can find a copy of The Father’s Blessing here.