Power and love and two ‘biggies’ for human beings. We crave both. This week, I read that power or love (or both) is the main subject in two-thirds of all songs and movies. Jesus has a few things to say about power and love, and you may be surprised that he wants more of both for us, much more. Except he doesn’t want the false versions that the world is selling; not all that calls itself ‘power’ is true power, and not all that calls itself ‘love’ is the genuine article. Give us the good stuff, LORD!
Listen to an audio version of the message
Songs for this week: Spotify
- How have you seen power and or love used well? Have you seen them used pooly? Share your observations.
- Paul prays for three specific things for the believers in Ephesus; see if you can get each down to a single phrase.
- The first request seems to be about ‘power in your inner being.’ How would you assess your ‘inner being’ these days? Powerful? Uncertain? Angry? Sleepy?
- Have you experienced God’s ‘love that surpasses knowledge’? Tell that story.
- What does it mean for God to get the glory “in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations”? How do you understand us to be part of that?